Why not save some money while helping the environment with these food tips. If you find that you are time poor and heading for the take away option instead, prepare meals in advance by making a massive batch and freeze in several containers.
When you find that after heading home from work and there is no time to cook, just head for the freezer and voila!, an instant meal which doesn’t cost you a fortune, better for you nutritionally and healthier.
If you are looking for some great batch cooking meals, try Beef and Lentil Casserole, allow 2 hours to cook in the oven with only 4 easy steps to prepare and only 3 grams of saturated fat.
Another trap is to heading to the supermarket without checking the fridge and pantry first.
I like to apply the 20/80 rule, whereby we only ever see or use 20% of what is in the fridge and pantry, the other 80% is hidden and never seen. How often when you moved house or had a Spring clean to find a jar of something in the fridge 6 months past the used by date or a tin of something in the pantry 2 years past the used by date.
Unfortunately all of this unused food ends up in land fill which not only is a waste of money but users valuable resources to grow and transport the food in the first place.
Quite often we have enough food in the fridge and the pantry to make a meal, make it a challenge to use all of the vegies in the fridge, either make a stir fry or casserole type dish. A lot of recipes can have the ingredients substituted.
Go online and search for recipes based on some basic ingredients that you have on hand.